The Permanent Home of the Penang Heritage Trust
- 26 Church Street, George Town -
After many years of struggle, together with the effort and help of many individuals and organisations, and after many months of painstaking restoration work, PHT is delighted to have a permanent home.
The official opening ceremony of 26 Church Street took place at 10.00am, on Sunday, 25 June 2006. Thanks go to American Express and World Monuments Fund – funding due to being listed on World Monuments Watch (200 and 2002).
26 Church Street is believed to have been constructed more than 140 years ago around the 1860′s. It housed an early-merchantile establishment in the island port settlement, and is especially important as an example of a very early shop house prototype.
The purchase and fit-out of this historic mid-19th Century vernacular shop-house, as a permanent home for the Penang Heritage Trust was achieved through the fund-raising efforts of its members and friends and generous donations from the Penang State Government, the Malaysian Ministry of Tourism, the Malaysian Ministry of Culture, Arts & Heritage and a supportive corporate sector.