PHT Site Visit: Church of St. Anne
The site is The Church of St.Anne located at Bukit Mertajam. A brief history of the church will be presented by Mr Lazarus Jonathan.
The Church of St. Anne was founded in 1846. Its first chapel was built on top of the hill. As soon as the Catholic population began to grow, a new church was built. It was opened in 1888. This is the church which is now the St Anne’s Shrine. It is the main church for the annual celebrations for St Anne’s feast. This church has Minangkabau roofs, truly reflecting the Malaysian culture. In the 1950s, when Malaya was declared under emergency, the church grounds were designated as an off-bound area. It was only in 1960 that the emergency was lifted. In 1977, the church started moving back to the St. Anne’s Shrine and restoration works begin, due to being abandoned for a long time. The stained glass inside and one of the three bells were recovered.
Fees will be collected for bus transportation and light refreshment. Please gather at Penang Heritage Office at 1.45pm this Sunday.
Fees: PHT members, RM20 for transportation abd light refreshments, for non-menbers the fee is RM30 and seats are limited.
Seats will be allocated on first-come-first serve basis, please book your seats as soon as possible.
Call us at 04-2642631 or email us via firstname.lastname@example.org